What Are SEND Reforms
The law regarding Special Educational Needs is changing. The Children and Families Act contains a large section on Special Educational Needs. The law will come into effect in September 2014.
The SEND Reforms in Brief
What is included in the New Legislation?
- Statements will be replaced with Education, Health and Care plans which will cover ages 0-25.
- School Action and School Action Plus will be replaced by a single category called Additional SEN Support.
- Each local authority will produce a Local Offer giving details of everything that is available locally. (link to Wokingham Borough Council Local Offer)
- An option to use Personal Budgets for some aspects of your child’s care.
More importantly this legislation will encourage a culture change
- There should be a greater focus on working together: Local authorities and health authorities have a duty to commission services jointly.
- Parents and children are at the centre of the outcome driven process and should be much more involved in deciding what works best for the child or young person.
- There is an expectation that Local Authorities will include parents in developing and reviewing all aspects of the new requirements.